SMT can provide a natural solution to managing life more easily and greatly improving health and wellbeing. Here are some examples of the benefits of learning and adopting this practice:
- Reduces anxiety and tension and relieves related symptoms across all age groups
- Notably improves strong anxiety reactions such as phobias, panic attacks, obsessive compulsive disorder and various diagnosed anxiety disorders
- Relieves and manages insomnia
- Reduces the ‘stress’ response and aids stress management regardless of the cause of stress
- Enhances physical and mental wellbeing
- Enables inner life awareness, mindfulness and spiritual growth
- Strengthens resilience, eases depression and lifts the spirit
- Assists stress experienced by students
- Assists in education, sport, corporate, government or workplace environment
- Benefits those experiencing chronic illness or disease such as
- migraines and recurring headaches
- high blood pressure
- heart disease
- chronic fatigue
- psoriasis and eczema
- irritable bowel syndrome
- the possibility of assisting with the management of cancer
It was Ainslie Meares who initiated the possible connection between serious illness such as cancer and high levels of anxiety.
By the early ‘70’s, having led the way in the relief and management of anxiety and therefore stress management, Meares courageously embarked upon the most challenging quest of his career. From his belief that organic illness and psychological illness were not mutually exclusive, it was Ainslie Meares who then initiated the concept that intensive meditation might influence the development of cancer. In this he pioneered the link between anxiety and immune dysfunction. He reasoned that since anxiety inhibits the function of the immune system through an excess of cortisone production, the ability to reduce anxiety naturally through correct mental rest, had the potential to restore immune function and thus prevent or treat illness.
‘Anxiety sets up a chain reaction; more anxiety, more bodily reaction, and the production of more cortisone than normal. This extra cortisone upsets the body’s immune response and allows abnormal, that is cancer, cells to grow without being destroyed. Stress itself is not always the problem; it is unresolved stress and our ability to cope with it that creates problems’.
Extract from Living Calm in a Busy World – Pauline McKinnon, 2011
SMT reduces stress and enhances performance … at home, in the workplace, within creative arts and sporting activities … and more …